- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay comments
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
Rodgers: New job numbers ‘very disappointing’
Question of the Day
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers said the latest employment statistics released Thursday are more proof that “President Obama’s policies are failing.”
The Washington state congresswoman, vice chair of the House Republican Conference and the highest-ranked woman in the GOP caucus, told The Washington Times-affiliated “America’s Morning News” radio broadcast that Thursday’s Labor Department unemployment report was “very disappointing.”
The report shows weekly unemployment applications dipped last week by 2,000 to a seasonally adjusted 386,000 — better than last week, but not good enough to make a dent in the overall unemployment rate of 8.2 percent. Economists said the report is an indication that hiring is slowing across the economy.
“I’ve been speaking out a lot against this phantom ‘War on Women’ that the Democrats suggest that the Republicans are waging. It once again is just another distraction,” she said.
She predicted that women voters will rally to Mr. Romney because of his promise to dismantle Mr. Obama’s health care law.
“Women do not like this health care bill. I really point to the health care bill as one of the reasons women voted Republican in 2010.”
The 42-year-old Spokane congresswoman brushed aside speculation about the vice presidency, telling hosts John McCaslin and Dana Mills that “I don’t expect to get that call.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Eldridge joined The Washington Times in 1999 and over the next seven years helped lead the paper’s coverage of regional politics and government, Sept. 11, and the sniper attacks of 2002. In 2006, he was named managing editor of the paper’s Web site. He came to The Times from the Telegraph in North Platte, Neb., where he served as ...
- John McCain, in Kiev, tells protesters that Ukraine is 'inspiring the world'
- Sens. Klobuchar, Collins predict a deal by Thursday
- Rand Paul: GOP can't accept Democrats' attempts to undo sequesters
- Lew says health exchange rollout glitches typical for new software
- John Boehner, Ted Cruz: Upcoming debt-ceiling vote will have conditions
Latest Blog Entries
- Mainers would rather move to Canada than down South
- McCain: 'Stand your ground' laws may need review
- Sen. Tom Coburn: Holder investigating himself is a 'total conflict of interest'
- CNN poll: IRS, AP and Benghazi haven't dinged Obama's approval rating
- Slain diplomat's mom on Obama's Benghazi comments: 'Bullfeathers'
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay comments
- Obama's own panel rips NSA spying on phone calls of Americans
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- President gets budget win -- but only by staying out of negotiations
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow