- N.Y. prosecutors: Russian diplomats bilked $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
- Sarah Palin responds to Martin Bashir’s resignation, praises media
- Obama to send 2 Gitmo terror suspects back to Algeria
- Paul Walker secretly bought $9K wedding ring for Iraq vet
- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
Jets may be in mix for HBO’s “Hard Knocks”
NEW YORK (AP) - Fasten your seat belts. Coach Rex Ryan, Tim Tebow and the New York Jets might be ready for a sequel on HBO’s “Hard Knocks.”
Jets owner Woody Johnson says he’s heard talk that HBO is interested in signing up the team for its training-camp documentary show. He’s not ruling it out.
Johnson said Monday the team has not received a “formal invitation,” but “when we do, we will take a look at it.”
HBO said there will be a “Hard Knocks” before the 2012 NFL season begins following a hiatus last year because of the lockout. HBO spokesman Greg Domino said “we do not discuss the process.”
Speculation began after the Jets acquired Tebow in a trade with the Broncos.
Asked if there have been informal discussions with HBO, Johnson said, “yeah” but “it’s a formal invitation that we can respond to, not an informal (one).”
Johnson, who made his comments at the NFL’s new pop-up store featuring new team apparel, said the Jets’ 2010 appearance on the show brought “tremendous value” and that the feedback was only positive. The Jets went on to reach the AFC championship game.
If invited, Johnson said there would be a discussion about a return appearance.
“It’s something we would take a look at with (GM) Mike (Tannenbaum), and the coach, and (director of media relations) Bruce (Speight), and others that we think would add value to that discussion, to see whether it is something we want to do,” Johnson said.
Tannenbaum said he was “looking forward to another team on it this year” during a recent interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio. He clarified that comment in a statement issued by the team Monday night.
“When I made that comment, I never had an expectation that we’d be asked to do it again,” Tannenbaum said. “Obviously, if we’re asked, we’ll sit down and talk about it.”
A possible drawback could be the way last season ended, when locker-room issues became public and there was much finger-pointing at quarterback Mark Sanchez. The Jets missed the playoffs after reaching the AFC title game the previous two seasons.
“I think all those concerns, the positives and negatives, we’d have to look at, sit around the table and say yay or nay,” Johnson said. “It’s not a perfect science. But we’d use our best judgment at that point.”
Also chiming in was Jets tight end Dustin Keller, one of several current and former players who attended the store opening.
“We would be good for Hard Knocks, especially with Rex’s personality, the Tebow trade. I definitely see how we would be appealing,” Keller said. “With everything that’s going on right now, there couldn’t be any more exposure.”
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- At minimum, a bad deal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
A collection of reader guest articles, thoughts and opinions by Communities writers and breaking news and information.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
White House pets gone wild!