- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
Embassy Row: Another Hitler in Iran
Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren compared the Iranian regime to the Nazis and denounced the Islamic theocracy for “pledging to murder another six million” Jews.
Israel repeatedly has pledged to destroy Iranian nuclear sites before the regime reaches the point where it can produce nuclear-weapons material.
Mr. Oren also noted that President Obama has publicly endorsed Israel’s right to protect itself against Iranian threats to destroy the Jewish state. However, administration critics believe Mr. Obama is pressing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyanhu to hold off any attack on Iran until after the Nov. 6 U.S. presidential election.
The ambassador opened his remarks with a reference to the Nazi Holocaust against the Jews and compared Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to Adolf Hitler.
Mr. Oren noted that in the 1930s, the world was weary and nearly bankrupt after World War I and no national leader was prepared for another confrontation.
“Meanwhile, a radical militant movement dreamed of regional and global domination,” he said.
“Headed by a supreme leader, the movement burned books and crushed its democratic opponents. It amassed vast arsenals of advanced weaponry and invaded neighboring countries.
“The radicals played on their nation’s injured pride and stressed its racial superiority. The movement denigrated the Jewish people as a cancer that had to be cut out.
“Today, too, there is such a radical regime in Iran. It also has a supreme leader. It also butchers its democratic opponents, supports terror, and seeks regional and global hegemony. The Iranian regime similarly espouses racism.
“It denies the murder of six million Jews by the Nazis, while pledging to murder another six million - in Israel.”
Foreign visitors in Washington this week include:
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
James Morrison joined the The Washington Times in 1983 as a local reporter covering Alexandria, Va. A year later, he was assigned to open a Times bureau in Canada. From 1987 to 1989, Mr. Morrison was The Washington Times reporter in London, covering Britain, Western Europe and NATO issues. After returning to Washington, he served as an assistant foreign editor ...
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Embassy Row: India 'shocked,' 'appalled' by consular officer's arrest
- Embassy Row: Wife of Christian held in Iran feels abandoned by Obama
- Wife of jailed U.S. Christian in Iran calls for White House help
- Most Americans want no Iranian uranium enrichment: poll
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014