- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: France, gun ownership not mutually exclusive
Ted Nugent slights America’s oldest ally, France, in his recent Op-Ed (“St. Louis NRA party rocked,” Friday). In 2007, France ranked at No. 12 in worldwide gun ownership (31.3 guns per 100 residents). A comparison of the number of privately owned guns in 178 countries ranked France at No. 5. The estimated total number of guns held by French civilians is 19 million.
Mr. Nugent gushes about the presence of gun-loving Canadians and British at the National Rifle Association’s 2012 convention. But Canada ranked at No. 13 in worldwide gun ownership. At No. 88, with only 6.2 guns per 100 residents, those Brits have good reason to attend the NRA convention. Gun laws in the United Kingdom are more restrictive than they are in France. For these facts, readers of The Washington Times should visit gunpolicy.org.
Perhaps Mr. Nugent identifies with the Brits because we sort of speak the same language. British author Alan Pearce moved to France and joined a gun club. “Back home in the U.K. if I declared in polite society my own interest in guns I would get a few askance looks,” Mr. Pearce says. “Actually, the process of gun ownership here is remarkably easy; I just needed some patience and help filling in the forms.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
Get Breaking Alerts
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- White House is obstructing probe on Navy Yard shooter, NSA leaker, Darrell Issa says
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Colorado revolt: 55 of 62 sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws
- Senators in rush to pass budget vow to undo cut to military retirement pay
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest