- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
Five killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in Oxon Hill
Rusted exhaust pipe was cause of gas leak
Question of the Day
Five people were found dead Tuesday in an Oxon Hill home, poisoned by carbon monoxide levels nearly 10 times higher than acceptable limits, emergency officials said Tuesday.
Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor said a rusted exhaust pipe that had separated from a heating system was likely the cause of the gas leak at the small, brick house. The thermostat was on after a night during which temperatures dipped near freezing.
“In this case, the heating system was very old and obviously had not been maintained,” Chief Bashoor said, standing a block from where dozens of emergency personnel milled around the residence Tuesday afternoon. “Any time you have combustion, it has to be ventilated outside.”
The odorless, colorless gas is deadly when inhaled at high levels or for a long period of time.
The victims were identified as Oscar Chavez, 57; Sonia Leiva, 54; Nora Leiva, 57; Gomez Segovia Francisco Javier, 33; and Nelson Landaverde, 44. The older Leiva sister is from Chicago and Mr. Javier is from Fairfax. The other three people were from Oxon Hill.
With red-rimmed eyes and a wavering, quiet voice, Marvin Chavez Quinteros, the son of Oscar Chavez, told reporters how he called the home Tuesday morning to check on his father. When no one answered, he went to the house and found two people unconscious in their bedroom.
Chief Bashoor said first responders arrived with carbon monoxide readers, which is a standard practice for incidents such as the one Tuesday. They measured carbon monoxide levels at 140 parts per million at the home’s front door, and as high as 560 parts per million in other parts of the house.
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, carbon monoxide can be deadly if people are exposed to 50 parts per million for eight hours.
“I’m broken,” Mr. Chavez said through quiet tears. “I’m broken.”
Chief Bashoor said neighbors saw the victims outside their home around 5 p.m. Monday, and Yamileth Coreas, the daughter of one of the victims, said she was at the house as late as 9 p.m. and “everything was fine.”
“My mom is a hard worker,” Ms. Coreas said. “She came to this country to live a better life. I don’t know what happened — just that some people are dead in my mom’s house and I can’t get inside.”
The one-story house is near the intersection of Shelby Drive and Dudley Avenue, about three miles south of the Capital Beltway.
Chief Bashoor said the house is in a neighborhood where there have been four recent reports of carbon monoxide concerns, though that’s not unusual for homes built after World War II.
Officials went door-to-door after the calls to raise concern about carbon monoxide poisoning. Chief Bashoor said his department would be going into the neighborhood again this week.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teen girl exorcised by priest, sends demonic text messages in response
- Obama nominates Rabbi David Saperstein as ambassador for religious freedom
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- No official word yet on Pope Francis visit: Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Higher Ground: War no deterrent
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Ticket me Elmo? NYC mulls law for impersonators
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Government OKs Arab-owned company Gulftainer to operate U.S. cargo port
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world