- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
Pakistan test-fires ballistic missile
“Pakistan today successfully conducted the launch of the intermediate-range ballistic missile Hatf IV Shaheen-1A weapon system,” Islamabad’s military said in a statement.
The statement said the missile is an updated version of the Shaheen with improvements in range and technical parameters. It can carry nuclear and conventional warheads.
The test took place less than a week after India tested a longer-range, nuclear-capable missile, the Agni 5.
Pakistan is the fourth Asian nation to test a missile this month.
Earlier this month, North Korea tested a rocket that it said was designed to put a satellite into orbit, but that U.S., Japanese and South Korean officials described as an illegal test of a ballistic missile. The launch failed; the following week, South Korea tested a short-range missile.
India and Pakistan — which have fought three wars since Britain divided the subcontinent between them in 1947 — regularly have test-fired short- and intermediate-range missiles since both conducted successful nuclear weapons tests in 1998.
Pakistan’s previous missile test came last month with the launch of the short-range, nuclear-capable Abdali.
• This article is based in part on wire service reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Holder cancels speech, appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad's resume
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014