- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Pakistan test-fires ballistic missile
Question of the Day
“Pakistan today successfully conducted the launch of the intermediate-range ballistic missile Hatf IV Shaheen-1A weapon system,” Islamabad’s military said in a statement.
The statement said the missile is an updated version of the Shaheen with improvements in range and technical parameters. It can carry nuclear and conventional warheads.
The test took place less than a week after India tested a longer-range, nuclear-capable missile, the Agni 5.
Pakistan is the fourth Asian nation to test a missile this month.
Earlier this month, North Korea tested a rocket that it said was designed to put a satellite into orbit, but that U.S., Japanese and South Korean officials described as an illegal test of a ballistic missile. The launch failed; the following week, South Korea tested a short-range missile.
India and Pakistan — which have fought three wars since Britain divided the subcontinent between them in 1947 — regularly have test-fired short- and intermediate-range missiles since both conducted successful nuclear weapons tests in 1998.
Pakistan’s previous missile test came last month with the launch of the short-range, nuclear-capable Abdali.
• This article is based in part on wire service reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world