- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Capitals to take on the Rangers in Round 2
If familiarity in the Stanley Cup Playoffs breeds contempt, bring on the Washington Capitals vs. the New York Rangers.
For the third time in four seasons, the Caps and Rangers will meet in the postseason, this time in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
The Caps knew they’d be moving on after Wednesday’s thrilling Game 7 overtime victory at the Boston Bruins, but their style of hockey fits no matter the opponent.
“I think you’ve got to keep playing the way we’ve been playing,” center Nicklas Backstrom said. “We’re playing good defensively, I think, and we’re blocking shots. We’ve got to keep doing that. If everybody’s playing the same way like we’ve been doing, I think we have a good chance to advance.”
The Caps advanced past the Rangers in each of the past two spring matchups. They won a seven-game series coming back from a 3-1 deficit in the first round in 2009 and a five-game series last season, as Michal Neuvirth stifled New York.
This will be the first second-round meeting between these two teams during this stretch. It will also be the first time the Rangers have home-ice advantage. The series wil start 3 p.m. Saturday at Madison Square Garden.
The teams spit the regular-season series 2-2.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- 2-week truce for hot sauce maker, California city
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014