- Associated Press - Friday, April 27, 2012

NEW YORK (AP) - Detroit Tigers left fielder Delmon Young apologized to his team and fans Friday, just before getting arraigned on a hate crime harassment charge for a fight at his hotel during which police say he yelled anti-Semitic epithets.

Young posted a $5,000 bond at a brief hearing in Manhattan court and was released less than an hour before the Tigers‘ game against the Yankees. He faces a misdemeanor aggravated harassment charge that entails targeting someone for his or her religious beliefs. If convicted, he could face up to a year in jail.

Wearing a dark suit, Young said nothing during his arraignment.

In a statement, however, Young said: “I sincerely regret what happened last night.” He apologized to the Tigers owners and organization, his teammates, family and Detroit fans.

“I take this matter very seriously and assure everyone that I will do everything I can to improve myself as a person and player,” Young said.

General manager Dave Dombrowski did not discuss Young’s arrest before the game. Tigers spokesman Brian Britten said Dombrowski would talk after he resolved several issues.

Young’s jersey hung in his locker in the visitor’s clubhouse at Yankee Stadium and his helmet was in the dugout rack Friday afternoon before the Tigers were to play the Yankees, but he was not in the lineup.

“My lineup’s up,” manager Jim Leyland said tersely when asked if he had to rethink his batting order for the game.

The Tigers arrived in New York at 10:30 p.m. Thursday after their plane sat on the tarmac for 2 hours, 15 minutes in Detroit, according to Leyland.

Around 2:30 a.m., Young was standing outside of the Hilton New York. Nearby, a group of about four Chicago tourists staying at the hotel were approached by a panhandler wearing a yarmulke and a Star of David around his neck, according to police. After, as the group walked up to the hotel doors, Young started yelling anti-Semitic epithets, police said.

It was not clear whom Young was yelling at, but he got into a tussle with the Chicago group, and a 32-year-old man was tackled and sustained scratches to his elbows, according to police and the criminal complaint.

Both Young and the group went inside the hotel, and at some point, police were called, and Young was arrested, police said. Young was first taken to a hospital because he was believed to be intoxicated, police said.

Defense attorney Daniel J. Ollen said accounts of the fight have varied. He said there was video, which he hasn’t seen, that showed someone in other group of people said something to Young before the scuffle.

“He clearly reacted to something that was said to him,” Ollen said.

Joe Torre, Major League Baseball’s executive vice president for baseball operations, visited with Leyland during batting practice but would not speak to the matter.

Story Continues →