- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
Tech’s Danny Coale taken by Cowboys in NFL draft
Redskins sign Cavs’ Chase Minnifield
Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson was the only Cavalier chosen, going to the San Francisco 49ers in the seventh round.
More surprising was that cornerback Chase Minnifield, who was projected as high as a second-round pick going into the draft, was not selected, but he was signed as a free agent by the Washington Redskins.
Minnifield had his knee scoped after missing the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, and was unable to recover in time to post good numbers for NFL scouts. Those health concerns seem to have sunk his draft status.
One year ago, Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling was in a similar situation, but was drafted at the end of the first round by New England. He suffered another injury and was unable to contribute to the Patriots in 2011, which may have been a cautionary tale for teams thinking about Minnifield.
Virginia’s other prospects, including wide receiver Kris Burd (Matoaca), will look to sign on with teams as free agents.
Other notable players who are free agents: University of Richmond quarterback Aaron Corp, William and Mary running back Jonathan Grimes, Old Dominion defensive end Ronnie Cameron and Liberty quarterback Mike Brown.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again