- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
Euro Rdp: Torres nets 3 for Chelsea; Madrid wins
Question of the Day
Tottenham returned to fourth place with a 2-0 win over Blackburn, moving ahead of Newcastle on goal difference and pulling within three points of third-place Arsenal. Chelsea trails Spurs by a point with three games remaining.
Defending champion Manchester United holds a three-point lead over second-place Manchester City heading into Monday’s game between the rivals at Etihad Stadium.
In Chelsea’s first match since reaching this season’s Champions League final, Daniel Sturridge scored just 49 seconds in, John Terry headed in a corner kick in the 13th minute and Torres scored in the 19th, 25th and 64th for his first three-goal game since Liverpool’s 6-1 win over Hull on Sept. 26, 2009. Florent Malouda made it 6-0 in the 80th.
Djibril Cisse scored in the 84th for QPR, which remains out of the relegation zone on goal difference over Bolton.
After just eight goals in his first 61 games since joining Chelsea for $80 million, Torres has four in his past two matches.
“I was feeling very good, very sharp, playing well, but I couldn’t score,” Torres said. “Now I feel I’m not playing as well as before, but I am scoring goals, which is the important thing for the strikers.”
A large number of Chelsea fans jeered and taunted QPR defender Anton Ferdinand throughout the match for his accusation earlier this season that Terry had racially abused him. Terry lost the England captaincy and faces a criminal trial after the European Championship.
The furor meant that the traditional pre-match handshake between the sides was abandoned Sunday to avoid the players coming into contact outside of the game.
Rafael van der Vaart scored in the 22nd minute for Spurs and Kyle Walker added a goal in the 75th for Tottenham, which outshot Blackburn 19-0.
MADRID (AP) _ Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 57th goal of the season, Karim Benzema added a pair and Real Madrid moved closer to its first Spanish league title in four years with a 3-0 victory over Sevilla.
Three-time defending champion Barcelona prevented Real from clinching by winning 7-0 at Rayo Vallecano, with Lionel Messi scoring twice for his 20th multigoal game this season. With four games left, Messi has 65 goals, two short of the European record set by Bayern Munich’s Gerd Mueller in 1972-73.
In Madrid, Ronaldo scored in the 19th minute, and Benzema in the 48th and 52nd. Ronaldo and Messi have each scored a Spanish league-record 43 goals.
Madrid, which has set the league mark with 112 goals, maintained a seven-point lead and can clinch a record 32nd championship with a win Wednesday at Athletic Bilbao.
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq