- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Fire at Moscow market kills 17 migrant workers
Question of the Day
MOSCOW (AP) — A blaze Tuesday at a Moscow market killed 17 migrant workers who were unable to escape from the metal shed where they were sleeping, the city fire department said.
All were citizens of former Soviet nations in Central Asia, spokesman Sergei Vlasov said.
Several million migrants from Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan have come to Moscow in search of work. Many have found jobs in construction or at the city’s sprawling markets, which sell everything from clothes to construction materials.
Mr. Vlasov said the fire that broke out at the Kachalovsky market at 5 a.m. Tuesday tore through an insulated metal shed where the workers slept on bunk beds. The roof collapsed during the blaze, which burned for more than two hours, he said.
Investigators were still determining the cause of the fire but said they suspected it may have started with electric space heaters. A light snow had fallen overnight.
Sergei Gorbunov, the fire department chief in Moscow’s southeast district, told Russian television that workers were unable to exit through the one door connecting their living quarters with an adjacent storage hangar. He did not say why.
Television footage showed that the windows of the blue metal shed were barred and firefighters had pulled away strips of metal sheeting from one wall.
Russia has a poor fire safety record. About 12,000 people died last year in fires across the country.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
- Costco to re-stock Dinesh D'Souza's 'America' after public outry
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- CURL: Obama turning millennials into Republicans
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener