- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
National League capsules
2011: 102-60, 1st place (lost to St. Louis in division series).
Manager: Charlie Manuel (8th season).
He’s here: RHP Jonathan Papelbon, 1B Jim Thome, INF Ty Wigginton, OF Laynce Nix, OF Juan Pierre, OF Scott Podsednik, RHP Joel Pineiro, RHP Chad Qualls.
He’s outta there: RHP Roy Oswalt, RHP Brad Lidge, OF Raul Ibanez, RHP Ryan Madson, OF Ross Gload, OF Ben Francisco, INF Wilson Valdez.
Projected lineup: SS Jimmy Rollins (.268, 16 HRs, 63 RBIs, 30 SB, 87 runs), 3B Placido Polanco (.277, 5, 50), 2B Chase Utley (.259, 11, 44), RF Hunter Pence (.314, 22, 97 with Astros and Phillies), CF Shane Victorino (.279, 17, 61, 16 3Bs, 19 SB), LF John Mayberry Jr. (.273, 15, 49), 1B Ty Wigginton (.242, 15, 47 with Rockies) or Jim Thome (.256, 15, 50 with Twins and Indians), C Carlos Ruiz (.283, 6, 40).
Rotation: RH Roy Halladay (19-6, 2.35 ERA, 8 CGs), LH Cliff Lee (17-9, 2.40, 6 shutouts), LH Cole Hamels (14-9, 2.79), RH Vance Worley (11-3, 3.01), RH Joe Blanton (1-2, 5.01 in 11 games).
Key relievers: RH Jonathan Papelbon (4-1, 2.94, 31 saves in 34 chances with Boston), LH Antonio Bastardo (6-1, 2.64, 8 saves), RH Michael Stutes (6-2, 3.63), RH Chad Qualls (6-8, 3.51 with Padres), RH Jose Contreras (0-0, 3.86, 5 saves).
2011: 89-73, 2nd place.
Manager: Fredi Gonzalez (2nd season).
He’s here: SS Tyler Pastornicky.
He’s outta there: RHP Derek Lowe, SS Alex Gonzalez, OF Nate McLouth, INF Brooks Conrad, LHP George Sherrill, RHP Scott Linebrink.
Projected lineup: CF Michael Bourn (.294, 2, 50, NL-leading 61 SB), LF Martin Prado (.260, 13, 57), 3B Chipper Jones (.275, 18, 70 - plans to retire after the season), 2B Dan Uggla (.233, 36, 82), C Brian McCann (.270, 24, 71), 1B Freddie Freeman (.282, 21, 76, runner-up in NL Rookie of the Year balloting), RF Jason Heyward (.227, 14, 42), SS Tyler Pastornicky (.314, 7, 45, 27 SBs combined between Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014