- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High court, not Obama, is supreme
Question of the Day
As he attempts to exert influence on the Supreme Court in favor of Obamacare, President Obama waded into dangerous territory with the shot he has fired across the bow of the highest court in the land (“Inside Politics: Sotomayor won’t let on to Obamacare decision,” Web, Tuesday).
The president has warned the court as it formulates its decision that overturning the law would be an “unprecedented, extraordinary step.” He derisively refers to the court as “an unelected group of people,” to which I would respond that there is a reason this body of jurists is designated “Supreme.”
If the president wishes to have direct influence on the Supreme Court, perhaps he should have been the individual who argued the administration’s case before it. Otherwise, he should do what every other president has done in similar circumstances: Remain silent, at least until the decision is issued, and respect the separation of powers.
Supreme Court justices are appointed for life so as to be immune from political pressure - like the kind Mr. Obama is seeking to exert now.
Consequently, one must be hopeful that the president’s efforts to influence the court will fail and that the issue of the health care bill will rise or fall on its own merits.
OREN M. SPIEGLER
Upper Saint Clair, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic