- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay comments
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
Odom done playing for Mavericks
Question of the Day
“The timing is what it is. These things never come at the best of times, so we felt with the playoff push coming up it was probably in everyone’s interest,” Nelson said. “Look, it’s been a frustrating situation. Lamar hasn’t performed like he wants to perform, is capable of performing. He’s dealt with a lot of personal issues, and at this point, we need to be able to count on some folks. It’s never easy to do these things. We just need to move on. `’
The NBA’s reigning Sixth Man of the Year was traded to Dallas just before the start of the lockout-shortened season, right after the Los Angeles Lakers tried to send him to New Orleans in the Chris Paul deal that was nixed by the league.
Odom never seemed happy or comfortable in Dallas, not even when wife and reality TV co-star Khloe Kardashian was in the stands just a few feet from the Mavericks bench. His averages of 6.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 20.5 minutes were career lows, and he was booed by the home crowd as the sluggish performances multiplied.
The low point appeared to come Saturday night, when he played just four minutes in a 94-89 loss at Memphis. Asked after the game about the situation, Odom simply shrugged his shoulders. Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki, who defended Odom all season, simply said “I’m done talking about that,” after the Memphis game.
“I’m sorry that things didn’t work out better for both of us,” Odom said. “But I wish the Mavs’ organization, my teammates and Dallas fans nothing but continued success in the defense of their championship.”
Nowitzki and Jason Kidd exited practice Monday through a side door without talking to reporters.
“It’s time to turn the page,” said coach Rick Carlisle, who had grown weary of the constant questions about Odom. “I’m not going to comment on it any further.”
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban hoped Odom could fill a void after the team decided against re-signing Chandler, considered a key piece of the championship team because of his leadership skills and strong defensive presence.
The decision on Chandler was widely viewed as something that would give the Mavericks flexibility to pursue free agents this summer _ notably Dwight Howard and Deron Williams _ but Cuban maintained the addition of Odom’s ability to shoot, pass and defend gave the Mavs a strong chance to defend their crown.
“We’ll adjust. We’ve got other guys,” Carlisle said. “I really feel we have other guys that are ready to step up, so that’s what we’ll do.”
The Mavericks have recalled guard-forward Kelenna Azubuike from the NBA Development League. He hasn’t played in the NBA since injuring a knee two seasons ago and averaged 6.4 points and 3.4 rebounds in seven games with the Texas Legends, who have finished their season.
“He’s a hopeful short-term play, but more likely a long-term play as he’s working through his injury,” Nelson said. “Had a real good stint in the D-League. We’re looking forward to him joining the team, going through a good, solid summer. But realistically, we’re looking toward next year.”
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Sen. Max Baucus: Obamas choice for China ambassador
- Obama's own panel rips NSA spying on phone calls of Americans
- President gets budget win -- but only by staying out of negotiations
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow