- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
Zimmerman faces trial by media
I see that the New York Times let us know the dastardly George Zimmerman was a “white Hispanic” - and the Times seems to have put an emphasis on “white.” However, it did not tell the general public that Mr. Zimmerman is a registered Democrat.
Now we learn that the NBC News department left off the question from the police dispatcher asking Mr. Zimmerman the race of the person he was following, Trayvon Martin. Why was that omitted? In both cases, the omissions seem to have been made only to support the developing narrative that mean, white George Zimmerman is a racist.
How could the New York Times make the distinction that he was white? And leaving out the question from the dispatcher as to the race of the person being followed made it appear that Mr. Zimmerman could have been targeting Trayvon for his race. By now everyone must know that ABC News also got to take a few shots at Mr. Zimmerman. When broadcasting a video of him, ABC conveniently covered the back of his head with a banner on the screen. After receiving many complaints, they removed the banner, and then you could see it appeared that Mr. Zimmerman had some kind of cut on the back of his head. Dare I ask again why this happened? Was the object to tell this story, or was it to hide the truth?
None of us is in a position to know whether Mr. Zimmerman was right to fire the fatal shot. Should we not leave it to the local police and prosecutors? Because of the attention given to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, as well as the New Black Panther Party, the liberal media do not think so. They already have tried and convicted Mr. Zimmerman.
It seems Mr. Jackson and Mr. Sharpton are always ready to grab their share of the spotlight no matter what the cause. Didn’t they do everything in their power a few years ago to convict the lacrosse players at Duke University who were found not guilty of rape? Did either of them ever apologize for what they said about those students? Of course not.
The New Black Panthers offered a bounty on the life of Mr. Zimmerman. One would think that if I offered a bounty on the head of my next-door neighbor, I soon would be getting a visit from the local police department. What the New Black Panther Party is calling for is a modern-day lynching.
Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash