- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
2 shot, one fatally, outside TGI Friday’s in Bowie
Two men were shot, one fatally, overnight as they left a TGI Friday’s in Bowie after an argument, police officials said.
It was unclear exactly what time the shooting happened, but two men with gunshot wounds were dropped off around 1:45 a.m. Friday at the Bowie Health Center, which is located in a complex a short distance from the restaurant. The two men were shot in the parking lot following an argument with another group of men inside the family restaurant, said officials from both the Prince George’s County and Bowie police departments.
“It was all supposedly over and they were driving away,” Bowie Police Chief John Nesky said.
The men supposedly got into an argument over a woman inside the restaurant but had no physical contact, police officials said. Someone fired shots at the other group of men as they were driving away from the restaurant.
One man died at the hospital and the other has injuries that are not life-threatening, Prince George’s County police spokesman Cpl. Clinton Copeland said. County police, who are investigating the shooting, have not publicly identified the man who died, but Bowie officials say both of the men were adults from Lanham.
One Bowie police officer and possibly another officer from a different department were working part-time security at the TGI Friday’s overnight when the shooting happened, Chief Nesky said. The restaurant has not had any major problems previously with violence.
“Not anything that you wouldn’t expect from the only place that’s open late in the area,” Chief Nesky said.
Homicides within the city of Bowie are fairly rare. The last homicide in the city occurred in October 2010 outside a banquet hall hosting a late-night party, Chief Nesky said. Since then the banquet hall has made agreements to cease holding any similar events, he said.
Bowie investigators will speak with the restaurant owner about safety measures taken there, Chief Nesky said.
“We’ll be examining the restaurant to make there’s nothing they or we can do better to improve the security,” he said.
County police officials did not answer questions Friday afternoon about whether the department would seek to shut down the TGI Friday’s.
Over the last year under the auspices of a new public safety law, the county police department has sought to shut down nightclubs and other establishments that are the scene of violent incidents.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- D.C. Council sues Mayor Gray, CFO over budget autonomy law
- D.C. Council sues Mayor Gray over budget autonomy law
- Guilty verdict in execution-style killings of 2 women, 2 children in Lanham
- Minority parties see power grab for D.C. vote
- Two bodies found under bridge near Southeast D.C. highway
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.