- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t leave station update up to Amtrak
Question of the Day
Spend a whopping $7.5 billion to renovate or give a face-lift to Washington’s historic Union Station (“Amtrak's Union Station plan sketchy on funding,” Web, July 25)? That’s an outrageous sum and definitely a huge ripoff of taxpayers.
With this large amount of money, we could build 10 brand-new Union Stations from scratch. I don’t have any doubt that if we can hand over this project to some honest people in the private sector, it could be finished for a lot less — maybe one-tenth of the money — and be done much sooner.
If the government and Amtrak are left in charge of this project, I would not be surprised if, at the end of it, the total cost goes up to $75 billion, with the majority of the money going to line the deep pockets of people who are friends and relatives of those at the helm and to the campaign coffers of their politician bosses.
HARISH G. BHATT
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple