You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Rebel calls for no-fly zone

- Associated Press - Sunday, August 12, 2012

BEIRUT — The head of Syria's main opposition group in exile called Sunday for world powers to impose a no-fly zone in border areas to protect civilians who are coming under increasingly intense attacks by regime warplanes and helicopters.

The president of the Syrian National Council, Abdelbaset Sieda, told the Associated Press that such a move by the international community would show Syrian President Bashar Assad that his opponents around the world are serious.

The Syrian opposition, which has been calling for a no-fly zone over Syria for months, renewed the plea a day after Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the United States and Turkey are discussing a range of steps including a no-fly zone over some parts of Syria as the regime increasingly uses its air force to attack rebels.

"There must be special protection," Mr. Sieda said in telephone interview. "The numbers of martyrs are increasing and destruction, too. If the country keeps going this way, then we are heading to a catastrophe."

Asked who will impose the no-fly zone, Mr. Sieda said: "We leave it to the international community."

Russia and China have vetoed attempts to pass tough U.N. Security Council resolutions aimed at Mr. Assad's regime. Last week, the U.N. and Arab League envoy to Syria, Kofi Annan, announced his resignation, following a frustrating six-month effort that failed to achieve even a temporary cease-fire.

Mr. Sieda said the no-fly zone should be along Syria's borders with Jordan and Turkey, adding that the opposition had called for such a move during last month's Friends of Syria meeting in Paris attended by world powers.

"Now that Syria's air force is taking part in bombing cities and towns, there must be protection for the Syrian people. There must be a no-fly zone so that there will be safe havens to refugees," he said.

Syria's civil war has spread to almost every province in the country, and the death toll has increased over the past weeks. Activists say more than 20,000 people have been killed since the revolt against Mr. Assad's authoritarian rule began in March 2011.

Activists reported more clashes Sunday in some Damascus suburbs, the battleground city of Aleppo in the north, central Homs province, and the restive southern town of Daraa. The London-based activist group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said it had no immediate reports of casualties.

The deaths of two Syrian journalists on Saturday were reported on Sunday.

State-run news agency SANA said one of its reporters, Ali Abbas, was killed at his home in Damascus. The report blamed an "armed terrorist group" -- the regime's catchall term for its opponents -- but gave no further details.

Pan-Arab satellite news channel Al-Arabiya television said that Bara'a Yusuf al-Bushi, a Syrian national and army defector who worked with the station and several other international news organizations, was killed in a bomb attack while covering a story in al-Tal, a suburb in northern Damascus.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.