- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns shelling of U.N. school in Gaza
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (Aug. 6-12)
Question of the Day
Pollster John Zogby grades the president's week and how the week's events affect his re-election chances:
"President Obama has been leading handsomely in some polls. He may even take heart in Mitt Romney's selection of Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin as his running mate. Yes, the GOP candidate's selection was out-of-the-box and on a Saturday morning no less. And it offers the opportunity for Mr. Romney to refocus his campaign on spending, fiscal responsibility and the nation's unsustainable path. He boldly has offered a choice for voters.
"On the other hand, Mr. Ryan is controversial, and his plans to reform Medicare can be pretty scary to voters over 65. This is a group of voters who have been most loyal to Mr. Romney in the primaries and the general election polls. Losing even a small piece of their support really threatens his campaign — and be assured that Mr. Obama's people will be jumping all over that.
"But even with all the hoopla over the Ryan selection, this week is all about Priorities USA — one of the PACs supporting the president — running an ad that essentially blames Mr. Romney for the death of a woman by cancer. I know that a candidate truly has no control over PAC spending and messaging, but the fact the president himself has not come out to vigorously condemn that ad and that PAC is shameful. Worse, it sucks. For that alone, he gets the hatchet from me."
Last week's grade: D+
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world