- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Romney-Ryan plan clear winner
Mr. Ryan has said we made promises on which the elderly planned their retirements and we must keep those promises. No one over the age of 55 will be affected. The plan guarantees Social Security and Medicare as is. Those younger than 55 in 2022 will be given an option to join Medicare or take a guaranteed coverage plan allowing them to choose their own coverage. It will function like the current federal employee plans.
President Obama, meanwhile, took more than $700 billion out of the Medicare trust fund, which seniors pay into every month. Mr. Obama uses this money to pay for those without insurance. Not only do seniors pay for Medicare, they also pay for supplemental insurance to cover all our medical expenses. The president promised that medical costs would not go up, and then he raised the cost of Medicare. But Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius will decide what care we should get and when. Her regulation on paying for contraceptives changed the definition of “church.” Now a church can only serve its own members and hire its own members to be exempt from paying for morally objectionable abortion. President Obama said he lowered middle-class taxes by halving the payroll tax. That’s the money people contribute to their Social Security insurance. They thus will not have a large enough contribution to qualify when they are ready to retire. Is it any wonder the Social Security Administration is going broke?
Pray for our nation and that in November we elect honest men who love America and want it to be one nation under God once again.
Front Royal, Va.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
Get Breaking Alerts
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Robert E. Lee and 'Stonewall' Jackson tributes face Army War College removal
- Wasted: Tom Coburn's 'Wastebook targets 70 days in bed, Facebook
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Colorado revolt: 55 of 62 sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- U.S. downplays Saudi prince's criticism of Obama's Middle East policies