You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Judge: Fort Hood suspect can be forcibly shaved

- Associated Press - Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A military judge says he has the right to order an Army psychiatrist charged in the 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage to be forcibly shaved before his murder trial.

Col. Gregory Gross says other defendants previously have been ordered to shave. He filed a response Wednesday with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces.

Last week, that court delayed Maj. Nidal Hasan's upcoming court-martial while it considers his objection to being forcibly shaved.

The Army prohibits beards, but Maj. Hasan has grown one to express his Muslim faith. Col. Gross has banned Maj. Hasan from courtroom hearings but said Maj. Hasan will be forcibly shaved before the trial if he doesn't shave himself.

Maj. Hasan faces the death penalty if convicted in the attack on the Texas Army post that killed 13.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.