- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Legitimate disgrace
Question of the Day
W. Todd Akin, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Missouri, recently defended his no-exceptions abortion policy by saying “legitimate rape” rarely causes pregnancy (“The upside of Todd Akin’s meltdown,” Web, Wednesday). Pardon me for asking, but what country or century is Mr. Akin living in?
According to Webster’s Dictionary, the definition of rape (the noun) is “the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.” Coincidentally, the definition of rape (the verb) is “an act of plunder, violent seizure or abuse … to take or carry off by force.”
No matter how Mr. Akin defines it, there never can be a “legitimate rape” of a woman. Republicans everywhere should demand he immediately end his campaign for the Senate. Here’s a sentence Mr. Akin easily should be able to understand: He is a disgrace to the GOP.
Laguna Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House