JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Maurice Jones-Drew’s holdout appears far from over.
ESPN reported that Jones-Drew is open to being traded.
When asked Tuesday whether he would trade Jones-Drew, Khan said he is “not going to get into all the theses and hypotheses.” Khan added that Jones-Drew is “a great player, and we would love for him to be back.”
His message to Jones-Drew?
“Train’s leaving the station. Run, get on it,” Khan said.
Bakari made it clear that those statements don’t sit well with Jacksonville’s biggest star.
“Obviously, he’s not happy that what started as a very cordial and private conversation is now public and contentious,” Bakari said.
Jones-Drew’s holdout is fairly simple. He wants a new deal after leading the NFL with 1,606 yards rushing last season. He has two years remaining on a five-year, front-loaded contract worth $31 million. He is scheduled to make $4.45 million this season and $4.95 million in 2013.
Khan and general manager Gene Smith insist they have no plans to negotiate a new deal with MJD, not wanting to set a precedent of paying players with two years remaining on lucrative deals that included large signing bonuses.
Jones-Drew skipped the team’s entire offseason workout program, including a mandatory, three-day minicamp last month. If new coach Mike Mularkey is fining Jones-Drew the maximum allowed under the collective bargaining agreement — $20,000 for each day of minicamp and $30,000 for each day since training camp opened — the total is up to $870,000.
Mularkey said Tuesday he has had no recent contact with Jones-Drew or his agent.