- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
Taking Names: Judge makes guardianship of Jackson children official
Question of the Day
A judge appointed Michael Jackson’s nephew on Wednesday to share guardianship responsibilities for the singer’s three children, but not without a last-minute effort by some relatives to delay the decision.
The judge made the ruling after considering a letter submitted by singer Diana Ross, who was named in Michael Jackson’s will as a potential guardian, and a letter presented by cousins of the singer who sought a delay in the appointment.
Debra Jackson and her son Anthony urged Judge Beckloff to delay his ruling, saying they were concerned that family matriarch Katherine Jackson was being coerced. The pair said they had been ostracized from the family and that the children may not be as excited about TJ Jackson’s appointment as has been presented to the judge.
But Judge Beckloff noted that all three children have said they consent to the co-guardianship, and that an independent investigation he ordered showed they “have a very strong, loving relationship with TJ Jackson.”
He urged TJ Jackson to consider allowing the cousins to visit the family, but said there was no reason to delay. The appointment means that Katherine Jackson, 82, and TJ Jackson, 34, will share responsibility for raising the children. If one of them is no longer able to serve, the other would become the children’s sole guardian.
Judge Beckloff has said Katherine Jackson is doing a great job raising Prince, Paris and Blanket Jackson, but noted that having a co-guardian will allow for continuity in their lives if she is no longer able to serve.
TJ Jackson was a relative unknown to the public before the recent rift in the family. He performs in a band called 3T along with his brothers and was close to his uncle, Michael, before the pop star died in June 2009 at age 50.
Wednesday’s hearing had been expected to be a legal formality and although Judge Beckloff made time to hear the cousins’ grievances, the judge didn’t waver in his view that the co-guardianship arrangement was appropriate. He noted that it is frequently employed in other cases.
The Warren County Circuit Court clerk's office says a judge signed the divorce decree on Monday. The news was first reported by TMZ.com.
In a news release last week, lawyers for Mr. Salahi announced the confidential divorce settlement in which he wished his wife the best. The release also said Mr. Salahi settled a $50 million lawsuit against Mr. Schon, his band and an affiliated entertainment company.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Border Patrol helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- La. Gov. Jindal defends suspended Duck Dynasty star
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
In a world that is increasingly complex, we need to seek greater awareness of the blending of cultures and America's changing role in a global community.
Find up-to-date information on the D.C. and Baltimore live music scenes and read interviews with artists and reviews of the latest releases and concerts.
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness from the carpool lane.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow