- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
FTC says Dish Network broke telemarketing rules
NEW YORK (AP) - The Federal Trade Commission filed a suit against Dish Network on Thursday, charging the satellite-television provider with breaking laws barring telemarketing calls.
The FTC said telemarketers from Dish Network Corp. kept calling people in an attempt to sell the satellite-television service even after they had been asked to stop. The agency says Dish and its dealers placed millions of such calls since Sept. 2007. Dish disputes the claims.
FTC's chairman Jon Leibowitz said in a statement that the agency was protecting Americans' "right to be left alone."
"It is particularly disappointing when a well-established, nationally known company - which ought to know better - appears to have flagrantly and illegally made millions of invasive calls to Americans who specifically told DISH Network to leave them alone," Leibowitz said.
Provisions in the FTC's Telemarketing Sales Rule bar companies from calling people after they ask to be placed on do-not-call lists, even if their names aren't on the National Do Not Call Registry.
Dish's spokesman John Hall said in a statement that the company will "vigorously" defend itself against the charges. Hall said Dish's marketing standards were "best-in-class."
The FTC said the lawsuit springs from information uncovered in another case against Dish Network. The Justice Department, on the FTC's behalf, is already suing Dish for calling people who have put their phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again