- Malaysia Airlines pilots sometimes left cockpit door unlocked: U.S. businessman
- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
Luxury home: 6 bedrooms, 6 fireplaces in Great Falls
While homes in Great Falls are well-known for their large, secluded home sites, few offer a setting as lush and private as the estate at 100 Interpromontory Road. Located in the prestigious community of Southdown, this Georgian-style brick mansion, on the market for $3,500,000, rests on 5 acres with spectacular views, extensive landscaping and access to bridle trails. The property backs to parkland that adds to the serenity.
A long, private river-stone driveway with fences, stone walls and a stone gateway leads to the home’s dramatic front entrance, which has a water fountain set in a lush lawn. The grounds include several stone patios and terraces, a play area, a gazebo, a roof deck, a three-car garage and a small horse barn. Guests and family members can enjoy summer afternoons by the in-ground swimming pool and whirlpool tub or relaxing on one of the terraces.
Brick steps lead from the drive to the wood front door, which opens into a two-story foyer with a double staircase to the upper level, elaborate wainscoting on the walls and richly gleaming hardwood flooring that extends throughout the main level and most of the second level.
An arched entrance leads from the foyer into an elegant living room with a bay window and a marble fireplace. Near the living room are a charming piano room with a wall of windows and an elegant library with a fireplace, wood-paneled walls, built-in bookcases and walls of windows on two sides.
On the opposite side of the foyer is formal dining room with a bay window, a fireplace and a built-in china cabinet. Adjacent to the dining room is a gourmet kitchen with state-of-the-art stainless steel appliances, a center island, myriad wood cabinets and a breakfast bar with a raised glass counter.
The kitchen, which includes plenty of space for a casual dining table, is next to a courtyard and a screened porch, each accessible through a glass door.
The kitchen opens into a family room with a wood-burning fireplace, a wood-beamed ceiling and arched doors and windows. The dramatic fireplace is surrounded by brick, which is, in turn, surrounded by stone from floor to ceiling.
The family room opens into a spectacular sunroom with a slate floor, a glass-and-wood-beamed cathedral ceiling and walls of Palladian windows on three sides. The sunroom includes doors to the patio and courtyard and overlooks the swimming pool. In addition, the solarium includes a full-size stone wet bar with seating for several guests.
This home includes a first-floor bedroom suite with a luxury bath with a soaking tub and a walk-in shower. The main level also has an elegant powder room with a wood vanity top, a rear staircase near the kitchen and a mudroom off the garage.
Upstairs, the master suite includes an expansive bedroom with a fireplace, hardwood flooring, two walk-in cedar closets with carved wood doors and a glass door to a private balcony. Adjacent to the bedroom is a sitting room with French doors that open onto another private balcony. The suite has two walk-in closets and a dramatic master bath with elaborately tiled floors, tiled cabinets, columns, a free-standing soaking tub and a separate steam shower.
The upper level includes a second bedroom with a private full bath and three more bedrooms that share a hall bath. One of the bedrooms has a private balcony overlooking the grounds.
A laundry room and multiple closets complete this level. Above this level is an unfinished walk-in attic.
The finished lower level includes a game room, an exercise room, a powder room, a second kitchen, a wine cellar and wet bar, and a recreation room with hardwood flooring and a gas fireplace.
For more information about this Southdown estate, contact Realtor Ron Malota with Long & Foster Real Estate in Fairfax at 703/283-7222 or visit www.ExtraordinaryProperties.com.
TWT Video Picks
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We completely overhauled American health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Crimea votes in favor of secession, U.S. rejects
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Trust me: Obama promises new overtime rules will be 'easier for everyone'
- McCaul offers scenario where missing Malaysian jet lands in hostile country to be use as missile
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014