- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Luxury home: 6 bedrooms, 6 fireplaces in Great Falls
Question of the Day
While homes in Great Falls are well-known for their large, secluded home sites, few offer a setting as lush and private as the estate at 100 Interpromontory Road. Located in the prestigious community of Southdown, this Georgian-style brick mansion, on the market for $3,500,000, rests on 5 acres with spectacular views, extensive landscaping and access to bridle trails. The property backs to parkland that adds to the serenity.
A long, private river-stone driveway with fences, stone walls and a stone gateway leads to the home’s dramatic front entrance, which has a water fountain set in a lush lawn. The grounds include several stone patios and terraces, a play area, a gazebo, a roof deck, a three-car garage and a small horse barn. Guests and family members can enjoy summer afternoons by the in-ground swimming pool and whirlpool tub or relaxing on one of the terraces.
Brick steps lead from the drive to the wood front door, which opens into a two-story foyer with a double staircase to the upper level, elaborate wainscoting on the walls and richly gleaming hardwood flooring that extends throughout the main level and most of the second level.
An arched entrance leads from the foyer into an elegant living room with a bay window and a marble fireplace. Near the living room are a charming piano room with a wall of windows and an elegant library with a fireplace, wood-paneled walls, built-in bookcases and walls of windows on two sides.
On the opposite side of the foyer is formal dining room with a bay window, a fireplace and a built-in china cabinet. Adjacent to the dining room is a gourmet kitchen with state-of-the-art stainless steel appliances, a center island, myriad wood cabinets and a breakfast bar with a raised glass counter.
The kitchen, which includes plenty of space for a casual dining table, is next to a courtyard and a screened porch, each accessible through a glass door.
The kitchen opens into a family room with a wood-burning fireplace, a wood-beamed ceiling and arched doors and windows. The dramatic fireplace is surrounded by brick, which is, in turn, surrounded by stone from floor to ceiling.
The family room opens into a spectacular sunroom with a slate floor, a glass-and-wood-beamed cathedral ceiling and walls of Palladian windows on three sides. The sunroom includes doors to the patio and courtyard and overlooks the swimming pool. In addition, the solarium includes a full-size stone wet bar with seating for several guests.
This home includes a first-floor bedroom suite with a luxury bath with a soaking tub and a walk-in shower. The main level also has an elegant powder room with a wood vanity top, a rear staircase near the kitchen and a mudroom off the garage.
Upstairs, the master suite includes an expansive bedroom with a fireplace, hardwood flooring, two walk-in cedar closets with carved wood doors and a glass door to a private balcony. Adjacent to the bedroom is a sitting room with French doors that open onto another private balcony. The suite has two walk-in closets and a dramatic master bath with elaborately tiled floors, tiled cabinets, columns, a free-standing soaking tub and a separate steam shower.
The upper level includes a second bedroom with a private full bath and three more bedrooms that share a hall bath. One of the bedrooms has a private balcony overlooking the grounds.
A laundry room and multiple closets complete this level. Above this level is an unfinished walk-in attic.
The finished lower level includes a game room, an exercise room, a powder room, a second kitchen, a wine cellar and wet bar, and a recreation room with hardwood flooring and a gas fireplace.
For more information about this Southdown estate, contact Realtor Ron Malota with Long & Foster Real Estate in Fairfax at 703/283-7222 or visit www.ExtraordinaryProperties.com.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world