- Associated Press - Saturday, August 25, 2012

BRISTOL, TENN. (AP) - Roger Penske said Saturday he’s taking his time deciding who will drive his No. 22 car next season.

Penske released AJ Allmendinger following his failed drug test, and Sam Hornish Jr. has been driving the car since Daytona in July. But the search continues for a full-time solution.

“We’ve got a lot of races left and we’ve really got to take a look at all the options until we get to the final decision,” Penske said before the race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

“You just don’t make a decision like this. Sam’s running well, we’ve got sponsors, we’ve got to decide if we want to three cars next year or two.”

Penske fields two cars right now, but has room to expand providing he had the sponsorship for additional teams.

Joey Logano, in the final year of his contract with Joe Gibbs Racing, has been mentioned repeatedly as a strong candidate for the ride.

“He’s obviously a candidate,” Penske said. “But there’s other good people, too, that people haven’t talked about yet. There’s always a couple of rabbits.”

Penske declined to name any other drivers, but said Hornish is “absolutely” still a candidate.

Meanwhile, Matt Kenseth said he expected to announce where he’ll drive “within the next two weeks.”

Kenseth and Roush Fenway Racing said in June they were splitting at the end of the season, and Kenseth has had his new job lined up since then. He’s believed to be going to JGR to replace Logano, but has been restricted from revealing his 2013 team.

___

NO DRAMA: A few comments made after last week’s race are following Brad Keselowski, who insists he wasn’t accusing Hendrick Motorsports of cheating in his remarks.

But there was a sting to them, according to Dale Earnhardt Jr.

“I don’t particularly like the things he says lately about the company I work for,” Earnhardt said at Bristol Motor Speedway. “I take offense at the claims and accusations. It’s just natural for me to do that, but we’re friends, and I don’t want any drama between (us).”

Keselowski finished second last Sunday at Michigan to Hendrick driver Jimmie Johnson, and talked briefly about rear suspension work some teams are doing as “parts and pieces on the car that are moving after inspection that make the car more competitive.” Keselowski did not refer to a specific team, but it was assumed he meant Hendrick Motorsports, which was ahead of other teams in development when NASCAR introduced a rule in late June requiring sway bar mounts to be perpendicular to the ground.

Story Continues →