- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
Aly Raisman: Olympic gold medalist gets hometown parade
Question of the Day
NEEDHAM, Mass. — Hometown fans lined the streets of Needham on Sunday to honor the 18-year-old Olympic gold medalist who brought the international spotlight to the Boston suburb.
Smiling and waving to an excited, welcoming crowd of thousands, gymnast Aly Raisman rode atop a yellow Lamborghini convertible from Needham Town Hall to a baseball field in front of Needham High School, The Boston Globe reported.
Raisman captained the U.S. women’s gymnastics team to a gold medal in London before winning individual gold in the floor exercise and bronze on the balance beam.
Though the Sunday parade was to honor her, Raisman shifted the attention to her screaming fans, saying, “I hope I made you all proud.”
The Globe reports that Raisman has kept a busy appearance schedule since returning from the Olympics. She has made appearances in New York talk shows, and she threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Boston Red Sox game at Fenway Park on Saturday.
She recently signed a one-year endorsement deal with Poland Spring, the Maine-based bottled water company, and she soon will join her Olympic teammates on a national celebration tour.
“It’s been the best summer of my life,” Raisman said.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq