- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Maryland highway work-zone crashes hit 10-year low
BALTIMORE (AP) – The Maryland State Highway Administration says crashes, fatalities and injuries in highway work zones are at a 10-year low.
Based on data from the last three years, the state says fatalities in work-zone crashes decreased by more than half. There were nine fatalities in 2009 compared with three in 2011. The number of people injured decreased from 827 to 688.
Overall, there were 200 fewer crashes between 2009 and 2011.
The highway administration is crediting its Maryland SafeZones program with automated speed enforcement cameras for the decline. Since the program launched in 2010, speeding violations in construction zones have decreased more than 80 percent.
The state currently has speed cameras in work zones on I-95 and I-695 in Baltimore County, I-70 in Frederick County, I-495 in Montgomery County and elsewhere.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.