- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
- Tony Blair to warn West: Take sides against radical Islam
- Pfc. Bradley Manning’s name change to Chelsea heads to court
- NYPD’s attempt at positive Twitter outreach campaign proves to be an epic fail
- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
Maryland highway work-zone crashes hit 10-year low
BALTIMORE (AP) – The Maryland State Highway Administration says crashes, fatalities and injuries in highway work zones are at a 10-year low.
Based on data from the last three years, the state says fatalities in work-zone crashes decreased by more than half. There were nine fatalities in 2009 compared with three in 2011. The number of people injured decreased from 827 to 688.
Overall, there were 200 fewer crashes between 2009 and 2011.
The highway administration is crediting its Maryland SafeZones program with automated speed enforcement cameras for the decline. Since the program launched in 2010, speeding violations in construction zones have decreased more than 80 percent.
The state currently has speed cameras in work zones on I-95 and I-695 in Baltimore County, I-70 in Frederick County, I-495 in Montgomery County and elsewhere.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- SOWELL: The high cost of liberalism, open spaces and affordable housing
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren: 'I'm not running for president'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.