- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama throwing defense workers under bus
Question of the Day
There is plenty of blame to go around for the looming sequestration and the drastic defense-budget cuts and massive job losses they will bring. Unless both political parties come together to find a solution, more than 1 million people nationwide could lose their jobs in the defense sector, with massive job losses in Virginia.
Incredibly, last week, the Obama administration directed the defense industry not to inform workers facing job loss. By law, a firm anticipating mass worker layoffs must provide notice (a “pink slip”) 60 days before layoff. Because this massive purge is scheduled for Jan. 3, the notices should go out Nov. 3, just days before the election. Fearing hundreds of thousands of soon-to-be-unemployed defense workers heading into the voting booth, the Obama Department of Labor directed the defense contracting companies not to provide the required layoff letters.
By blatantly throwing as many as 1 million defense workers under the bus and telling companies to withhold layoff letters until after the election, President Obama proves he is in favor of job preservation. Unfortunately, the only job he’s concerned about saving is his own.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Veteran with concealed weapon turns tables on Chicago gunman
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: How many boondoggles to break the bank?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The problem is unenforced borders
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where are condolences for Jewish teens' deaths?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama welcomes illegals, ignores Americans
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals