- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama throwing defense workers under bus
Question of the Day
There is plenty of blame to go around for the looming sequestration and the drastic defense-budget cuts and massive job losses they will bring. Unless both political parties come together to find a solution, more than 1 million people nationwide could lose their jobs in the defense sector, with massive job losses in Virginia.
Incredibly, last week, the Obama administration directed the defense industry not to inform workers facing job loss. By law, a firm anticipating mass worker layoffs must provide notice (a “pink slip”) 60 days before layoff. Because this massive purge is scheduled for Jan. 3, the notices should go out Nov. 3, just days before the election. Fearing hundreds of thousands of soon-to-be-unemployed defense workers heading into the voting booth, the Obama Department of Labor directed the defense contracting companies not to provide the required layoff letters.
By blatantly throwing as many as 1 million defense workers under the bus and telling companies to withhold layoff letters until after the election, President Obama proves he is in favor of job preservation. Unfortunately, the only job he’s concerned about saving is his own.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
Get Breaking Alerts
- Calling prison term disparities unfair, Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House