- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama throwing defense workers under bus
Question of the Day
There is plenty of blame to go around for the looming sequestration and the drastic defense-budget cuts and massive job losses they will bring. Unless both political parties come together to find a solution, more than 1 million people nationwide could lose their jobs in the defense sector, with massive job losses in Virginia.
Incredibly, last week, the Obama administration directed the defense industry not to inform workers facing job loss. By law, a firm anticipating mass worker layoffs must provide notice (a “pink slip”) 60 days before layoff. Because this massive purge is scheduled for Jan. 3, the notices should go out Nov. 3, just days before the election. Fearing hundreds of thousands of soon-to-be-unemployed defense workers heading into the voting booth, the Obama Department of Labor directed the defense contracting companies not to provide the required layoff letters.
By blatantly throwing as many as 1 million defense workers under the bus and telling companies to withhold layoff letters until after the election, President Obama proves he is in favor of job preservation. Unfortunately, the only job he’s concerned about saving is his own.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- The List: Top 20 TV medical shows
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?