- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Berry Gordy, Paul McCartney to play Motown piano
Question of the Day
McCartney’s publicist didn’t return a message from the AP seeking comment, but Terry said: “Paul McCartney, he orchestrated the process, moving the piano, getting it to Steinway. … It wasn’t just a monetary thing. His soul was in it. He wanted to make sure that this contribution was made, and he followed it through from beginning to end.”
While they didn’t cross paths all that often during their respective heydays, The Beatles and Motown artists were members of a mutual admiration society.
Beatles manager Brian Epstein did promote Motown revues in the United Kingdom, which were popular with fans and stars alike. And Four Tops singer Abdul “Duke” Fakir recalls being at a party with The Beatles, where the Fab Four peppered his group with questions about how they sang their harmonies and achieved other elements of their sound.
According to Stephens, McCartney “was pretty tickled” during his tour to find a photo of himself and Beatles bandmates Ringo Starr, George Harrison and John Lennon alongside Gordy’s father and Gordy’s three children.
McCartney “talked about the fact that he had always heard about and been conscious of Motown and getting his hands on those first Motown recordings and things,” Stephens said. “It was kind of completing a circle for him in a lot of respects.”
Associated Press writer Jeff Karoub contributed to this report.
Follow Mike Householder on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mikehouseholder
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq