FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A state report says the National Park Service was warned in 2010 that efforts should be stepped up to inspect for rodents in Yosemite National Park and prevent them from entering areas where people sleep.
The disclosure came just days after a Pennsylvania visitor became the second park guest confirmed to have died of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a disease spread through the feces, urine and saliva of deer mice and other rodents.
Public health officials say both victims had stayed at the park's Curry Village.
The 2010 report issued by the California Department of Public Health was commissioned by the Park Service.
It says inspections for rodent infestations and appropriate exclusion efforts should be increased, particularly for buildings where people sleep.
Officials with Yosemite and public health officials with the National Park Service did not immediately return calls seeking comment.
On Wednesday public health workers warned more visitors to Yosemite this summer that they may have been exposed to the deadly disease.
Officials sent emails and letters to 1,000 people who stayed in tent cabins in Curry Village. That's in addition to 1,700 Curry Village guests who previously were sent such a warning.
It's unclear whether authorities expanded the boundary or extended the dates of potential exposure.
The guests being warned stayed in Curry Village's tent cabins in June, July or August.