- White House: Obamacare didn’t matter in Florida special election
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Gas blast destroys 2 N.Y. buildings; 6 people dead
- Suspected drunken driver kills 2 at South by Southwest festival, police say
- Student protester shot, killed amid Venezuela unrest
- ‘Between Two Ferns’ director rushes to Obama’s defense, blasts O’Reilly
- Marine springs into action, runs down and tackles alleged Boston purse snatcher
- Education Department botching loan-amnesty program: GAO review
- Snowden: NSA uses fake Facebook to hack into users’ computers
- Tearin’ up my tweet: ‘N Sync’s Lance Bass promotes wrong Obamacare website
‘Spider-Man’ director, producers settle NYC suit
NEW YORK (AP) - Like in any great theater production, the conflict between director Julie Taymor and the producers of the Broadway production of “Spider-Man” peaked in intensity just before the resolution.
A tentative deal settling a dispute over her role in the musical was disclosed in a document filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan. It said the case could be reopened within two months if the agreement breaks down. Settlement terms were not released.
Dale Cendali, lead attorney for the producers, said she could not comment on the agreement in principle, except to confirm that it was reached Thursday.
The stage seemed set for a January trial.
Just last week, lawyers for “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” wrote that “the lesson Spider-Man offers us _ that with great power, comes great responsibility _ appears to have been lost on Taymor, who continues to seek to avoid her obligations.”
And that court filing came not long after lawyers for Taymor complained that the producers in a counterclaim had “launched a full-scale attack on Taymor aimed at assassinating her character and seeking to hold her singly responsible _ financially and reputationally _ for the musical’s problems.”
Taymor filed the lawsuit in November, saying her copyrighted written works were violated when she was fired last year and the musical’s script was rewritten after the $75 million production had trouble getting past previews. The musical has since become a success. She was seeking damages exceeding $1 million.
In the countersuit, lawyers said Bono and Edge of the rock band U2 had originally suggested Taymor serve as the musical’s director, and she joined the production team in 2004, writing a three-page treatment.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- John Kerry says any resumption of aid to Egypt would depend on reforms in Cairo
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Dog left in car blasts horn for 15 minutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again