- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Top 25 Preview Capsules
All times EDT
No. 24 Boise State at No. 13 Michigan State, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
Line: Michigan State by 7
Series Record: First meeting
WHAT’S AT STAKE
As usual, the opener shapes up as the best chance on Boise States schedule for the Broncos to prove themselves against a team from one of college footballs top conferences. They beat Virginia Tech and Georgia to open the last two seasons. Michigan State puts a 14-game home winning streak on the line.
Boise State quarterback Joe Southwick against Michigan States defense. Southwick makes his first career start after spending two seasons backing up star Kellen Moore. Southwick is 40 for 54 for 400 yards with two touchdown passes in his career at Boise State. The Spartans lost defensive lineman Jerel Worthy to the NFL but return pass-rushing threat William Gholston and linebacker Max Bullough. The Spartans allowed only 18 points a game last season.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
FACTS & FIGURES
Boise State went 24-2 over the last two seasons. Michigan State went 22-5. … Friday will mark the 12th night game in the 89-year history of Spartan Stadium. Michigan State is 7-4 in its previous 11 prime-time TV appearances at the venue. … Boise State lost all four starters from last seasons defensive line. … Mark Dantonios 44 wins are the most for a Michigan State coach in his first five seasons. … Robert Prince takes over as Boise States offensive coordinator after Brent Pease left to take the same job at Florida.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow