- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Top 25 Preview Capsules
All times EDT
No. 24 Boise State at No. 13 Michigan State, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
Line: Michigan State by 7
Series Record: First meeting
WHAT’S AT STAKE
As usual, the opener shapes up as the best chance on Boise States schedule for the Broncos to prove themselves against a team from one of college footballs top conferences. They beat Virginia Tech and Georgia to open the last two seasons. Michigan State puts a 14-game home winning streak on the line.
Boise State quarterback Joe Southwick against Michigan States defense. Southwick makes his first career start after spending two seasons backing up star Kellen Moore. Southwick is 40 for 54 for 400 yards with two touchdown passes in his career at Boise State. The Spartans lost defensive lineman Jerel Worthy to the NFL but return pass-rushing threat William Gholston and linebacker Max Bullough. The Spartans allowed only 18 points a game last season.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
FACTS & FIGURES
Boise State went 24-2 over the last two seasons. Michigan State went 22-5. … Friday will mark the 12th night game in the 89-year history of Spartan Stadium. Michigan State is 7-4 in its previous 11 prime-time TV appearances at the venue. … Boise State lost all four starters from last seasons defensive line. … Mark Dantonios 44 wins are the most for a Michigan State coach in his first five seasons. … Robert Prince takes over as Boise States offensive coordinator after Brent Pease left to take the same job at Florida.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- IRS pays tax cheats hundreds of millions of dollars
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- Rush weighs in: Maybe Republicans dont dislike Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow