- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Better mileage means more deaths
Will President Obama send condolence letters to the families of those killed while riding in cars redesigned to meet new fuel-efficiency mandates (“New mileage standards would double fuel efficiency,” Web, Aug. 28)? It is a fact that in a collision, the occupants in a heavier car have a greater chance of survival and avoidance of injury than do the occupants of a smaller car.
As a pilot and an occasional motorcycle driver, I can justify voluntary risk. Years ago, the Geo Metro was introduced as a lightweight car capable of getting up to 50 mpg. But in order to have a fleet average 54.5 mpg, light cars will have to get lighter and sport utility vehicles and vans will become so flimsy they will fly apart in an accident. Such lightening of vehicles will mean a guaranteed death sentence to anyone tangling with an 18-wheeler.
It is not smart to buy a “smart car” unless you can accept a shortened life span. Has Mr. Obama calculated how much more our society will be paying in medical bills? Or is he counting on lowering the average life span to save money on Social Security and Medicare?
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Obama ups the partisanship with a class-warfare speech
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on 'outdated' agencies
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements