- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Erosion of values aids deviancy
Question of the Day
It was Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, New York Democrat, who coined the phrase “defining deviancy down” in 1993. This was simply a way of describing, quite frankly and accurately, how aberrant behavior becomes less aberrant the more widespread and acceptable it becomes.
One might even call this phenomenon psychological evolution, or what liberals mean when they say, “Move on.”
But deviancy takes time. It took time for the Nazis to kill 6 million Jews, for terrorists to plan and fly airplanes into the heart of the financial district in Manhattan. It is taking time for rogue nations to construct an atomic weapon capable of annihilating an entire country. In this age, who gets to define deviancy? Perhaps Moynihan was merely prejudiced.
There was once a time when illegal immigrants were called illegal, marriage meant a wedding of one man and one woman and a stigma was attached to having a baby out of wedlock.
Maybe if illegal aliens were still considered criminals and marriage was still a sacred contract between one man and one woman, we would have secure borders, fewer illegitimate children and fewer deviants.
Port St. Lucie, Fla.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide