- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Erosion of values aids deviancy
Question of the Day
It was Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, New York Democrat, who coined the phrase “defining deviancy down” in 1993. This was simply a way of describing, quite frankly and accurately, how aberrant behavior becomes less aberrant the more widespread and acceptable it becomes.
One might even call this phenomenon psychological evolution, or what liberals mean when they say, “Move on.”
But deviancy takes time. It took time for the Nazis to kill 6 million Jews, for terrorists to plan and fly airplanes into the heart of the financial district in Manhattan. It is taking time for rogue nations to construct an atomic weapon capable of annihilating an entire country. In this age, who gets to define deviancy? Perhaps Moynihan was merely prejudiced.
There was once a time when illegal immigrants were called illegal, marriage meant a wedding of one man and one woman and a stigma was attached to having a baby out of wedlock.
Maybe if illegal aliens were still considered criminals and marriage was still a sacred contract between one man and one woman, we would have secure borders, fewer illegitimate children and fewer deviants.
Port St. Lucie, Fla.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business