- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
Inside Politics: Bernanke says tough times still felt by many
Mr. Bernanke said that while measures of consumer spending, income and wealth point to improvement, “many individuals and households continue to struggle with difficult economic and financial conditions.”
His comments were made during a prerecorded speech on economic measurement to the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in Cambridge, Mass.
Mr. Bernanke said statistics can sometimes hide important information. He said there have been interesting developments in the study of “well-being” and cited the kingdom of Bhutan, which abandoned tracking gross national product in 1972 in favor of a measure of happiness.
Mr. Bernanke made no comments about Fed policy or the July jobs report released last Friday.
Top Republicans have called Mr. Reid a liar.
Mrs. Pelosi, who was in Florida Monday, said that although the allegation is unproven, she didn’t think Mr. Reid was wrong to publicize it. Mr. Reid has said only that the tip came from a former Romney associate.
So far, Mr. Romney has released only his 2010 tax return.
No contempt charge for ex-Edwards aide
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon but not vegan label
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes