- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
BOOK REVIEW: ‘Treacherous Beauty’
But like many other of our founder generals, Arnold knew how to lead men into the maelstrom of battle and had run up an impressive string of victories (and twice as many critics and enemies) by the time he was severely wounded in the leg at his greatest triumph, at the Battle of Saratoga.
Arnold overcame Shippen family doubts and married Peggy in the spring of 1779 while he was recuperating (and embroiled in black-marketeering) as military governor of Philadelphia. The authors make a convincing case that Arnold’s greed and Peggy’s urging were what caused him to switch sides.
I won’t spoil for the reader the exciting thriller that unfolds during this treachery, but Peggy clearly is a full partner in the drama, which, the authors show, could have caused the collapse of the patriot cause. Instead, poor John Andre was hanged as a spy and Arnold spent the rest of his life squabbling over money.
James Srodes is the author of “Franklin, the Essential Founding Father” (Regnery, 2003).
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan