- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Marvin Hamlisch’s chorus line: key compositions
Was there an award Marvin Hamlisch didn’t win?
He was showered with many honors throughout his illustrious career, winning Oscars, Grammys, Emmys, Golden Globes and a Tony. Then there’s the Pulitzer Prize.
But more than his awards, he gave audiences endless soundtracks to their lives, composing scores for films directed by Woody Allen and that included Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. “The Way We Were” is just one example of his artistic heft; the No. 1 hit, immortalized by Barbra Streisand, is one of the most revered songs of all time. Doris Day, Barry Manilow and even Beyonce have covered it.
Hamlisch died Monday in Los Angeles after a brief illness at age 68. Here’s a look at his key songs and scores:
Marvin Hamlisch’s key songs:
“Life Is What You Make It” from “Kotch” (1971)
“The Way We Were” from “The Way We Were” (1973)
“The Entertainer” from “The Sting” (1973)
“Nobody Does It Better” from “The Spy Who Loved Me” (1977)
“The Last Time I Felt Like This” from “Same Time, Next Year” (1978)
“Through The Eyes of Love” from “Ice Castles” (1978)
“I Finally Found Someone” from “The Mirror Has Two Faces” (1996)
Marvin Hamlisch’s key scores:
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Young and healthy millennials create risky imbalance by shunning Obamacare
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.