- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
Olympics 2012: Brittany Viola dives in with famous dad on hand
“There’s a lot of reflection going on,” she said. “So many moments and experiences that have brought me to this point.”
“The first time she did a dive she held her nose,” he recalled. “I said, ‘Brit, that’s not going to work.’”
Her first meet against top competition was in Montreal, and she traveled there with her dad, who was eager to make up for the time he lost with her as a child.
“I said, ‘First of all, is she going to survive up there?’” he said. “When she came off, she said, ‘That was the biggest rush I ever had.’”
Brittany is unfazed by plunging off the 33-foot tower — the equivalent of two of London’s famous double-decker buses — and hurtling toward the water at speeds fast enough to cause pain upon impact, especially if her entry isn’t perfect.
“She spit blood for a few days when she entered the water the wrong way,” her father said.
Her famous father wouldn’t be caught dead climbing to the top of the 10-meter tower, let alone the ladder on the 3-meter springboard.
“I go up 10 feet to put on Christmas lights and I’m ready to pass out,” he said, crediting his wife for Brittany’s lack of fear.The elder Viola says the only thing he takes credit for in his daughter’s career is encouraging her to have fun and go for her goals.
“Everything I achieved in baseball was done as a team. This is individual and for the United States,” he said. “She has to go out there for herself and have fun.”
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.