- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
SNYDER: Contemplating T.O., Bryce’s head, Wall’s talk
Contemplating T.O., Bryce’s head, Wall’s talk
Once again, it’s time to check off some items on my “TIDU List” — Things I Don’t Understand:
How Seattle became so desperate at wide receiver.
Terrell Owens might have tread left on his tires at 38. He has missed a full season and had major knee surgery since his last NFL game, but had 72 catches and nine TDs in 2010. Though his finances are a mess, he remains in awesome shape physically
Still, signing a punch line says a lot about the Seahawks and it’s nothing to brag about.
Why Bryce Harper’s mentality is a concern.
He argued with an ump Wednesday and shattered a bat on home plate Sunday. He slammed a bat off the wall and into his face in May and snapped a bat in July. Helmets have been abused. Batting .176 in a woeful second-half slump, he wasn’t in the lineup Thursday. But he’s only 19, so no worries.
Harper will become more comfortable with imperfection as he grows older.
How Gabby Douglas could be more inspiring.
Disney movie heroines have stories more believable than Douglas’s tale. We’d roll our eyes at the screen if a 14-year-old African-American girl moved in with a family she didn’t know, in a community where few people looked like her, and won Olympic gold two years later. It would be too sappy if it wasn’t real life.
Forget about the demographics in gymnastics; Douglas expanded the realm of possibility.
Why the NFL hired a female fill-in official.
Shannon Eastin made history Thursday in the Packers-Chargers game. Too bad some folks consider her a scab for betraying the locked-out, regular officials. “It was an opportunity for me to get in and to show that I am capable,” Eastin said in a conference call. I don’t blame Eastin for taking her shot.
But the NFL should’ve made sure its pioneer was the real thing.
How Bobby Petrino will be sidelined long.
The former Arkansas coach was emotional in his first interview since being ousted for hiring a mistress. “How could I put what we had in jeopardy?” he asked ESPN. “My actions, my behavior — for months it was just wrong.” He lost his dream job and $21 million in potential earnings.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Deron Snyder is an award-winning journalist and Washington Times sports columnist with more than 25 years of experience. He has worked at USA Today and his column was syndicated in Gannett’ 80-plus newspapers from 2000-2009, appearing in The Arizona Republic, The Indianapolis Star, The Detroit News and many others. Follow Deron on Twitter @Its_Ball_Good or email him at email@example.com.
- SNYDER: With John Wall’s return, Wizards’ blueprint beginning to unfold
- SNYDER: RG3, Junior Seau evidence of NFL’s negligent culture
- SNYDER: Alabama’s excellence built to last under Saban
- SNYDER: Russell Wilson beats RG3 at his own game
- SNYDER: Terp tested: Turgeon has team ready to take on ACC
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014