- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wind-turbine hot air
Paul Driessen presents a grisly picture of the slaughter of eagles, whooping cranes and other “majestic sovereigns of the sky,” large and small (“Wind-energy tax credits fund bird murder,” Commentary, Tuesday). What Mr. Driessen omits is perspective on the paltry amount of electricity generated by what he aptly calls “bird Cuisinarts.”
Total electricity from the existing and planned wind turbines in the six whooping crane flyway states will amount to only one-quarter of the output of one nuclear plant. Even worse, wind farms provide electricity at full-power output for only an average of eight hours a day, and output can drop to zero without warning.
Full nuclear-power output, and the electricity from smaller coal- and gas-fired alternatives, is available 24 hours every day and never drops to zero. Since an intermittent megawatt generated by wind is no substitute for a dependable megawatt generated by coal, gas or nuclear power, and each wind megawatt must be backed up by a coal, gas or nuclear megawatt, why can’t we just stop with the wind turbines and save the birds?
GEORGE F. STEEG
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert