- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Take a page from Obama playbook
America’s tax “can” has been kicked down the road for four years now — and it has come to rest at a spot where the road ends, right on the precipice of the great “fiscal cliff.”
President Obama, the nation’s premier can-punter, has once again donned his earplugs and tunnel-vision goggles as he steps onto that crumbling, poorly patched stretch of financial asphalt and prepares to apply the toe of his well-polished boot to the middle of that battered can, sending it over the edge into the abyss below.
What would happen if all the Republicans and Democrats who were opposed to Mr. Obama’s punitive tax on 2 percent of our population took a page from the president’s political past and simply declared themselves “present” when the vote was taken? It is a matter of record that as a state senator and U.S. senator from Illinois, Mr. Obama declared himself simply “present” on many occasions, rather than voting “yea” or “nay.” Why would it be wrong for Republicans and Democrats who disagree with this odious legislation to do so now?
Mr. Obama and his supporters want control of the fiscal cliff situation, so let’s give it to them — along with its ownership. Let them decide whether they wish to be responsible for maintaining our current national tax rate or be remembered for supporting what will become forever known in our history as “the big Obama tax increases of 2013.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response