- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Costas targets guns but not cars
Question of the Day
NBC broadcaster Bob Costas for the second week in a row provided comments at halftime during Sunday night football about a tragic death involving an NFL player (“Cowboys lineman due in court after teammate dies,” Web, Sunday). In reference to the death of Cowboys player Jerry Brown, Mr. Costas clearly shifted his attitude about the cause of an untimely tragedy.
The week before last he went after the “gun culture” in America when a day earlier, Kansas City Chiefs football player Jovan Belcher shot and killed girlfriend Kasandra Perkins before turning the gun on himself. Mr. Costas blatantly stated at the end of the anti-gun diatribe that “if Belcher had not owned a gun he and Perkins would be alive today.” In last weekend’s incident, Cowboys lineman Joshua Brent was allegedly driving while intoxicated and crashed his vehicle, in which Brown was a passenger. Mr. Brent has been charged with intoxication manslaughter. Correctly, Mr. Costas did not blame vehicles in the death, even though more than 32,000 people are killed in car accidents each year in the United States. Instead, his comments were rightfully directed at personal responsibility and decisions.
Guns don’t kill people any more than vehicles do. The loss of lives in these incidences brings home this fact clearer than ever.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens