- American dream dying, but many see free market as solution: Poll
- Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
- Israel poised for a $173M boost from the U.S. for missile defense
- Leon Panetta named as source of ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ scriptwriter’s information
- Mandela service sign language interpreter: ‘He made up his own signs’
- Pope Francis named Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
- Ben Affleck: Fundraising for Democrats started to ‘feel gross’
- Vladimir Putin orders military to boost presence in Arctic
- Brooklyn, N.Y.: ‘Lesbian capital’ of the Northeast
- Elian Gonzalez: It’s America’s fault that my mother died
Prince William graces ‘Hobbit’ green carpet in UK
LONDON (AP) - Prince William is joining stars such as Ian McKellen and Cate Blanchett on the green carpet in London for the U.K. premiere of “The Hobbit,” the first part of Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings” prelude.
William’s pregnant wife, Kate, is missing from the prince’s arm _ she cancelled her appearance at the premiere due to acute morning sickness.
McKellan, who plays the wizard Gandalf in the adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s work, told reporters Wednesday that it “feels proper” to celebrate the film in London, given that a large part of the cast is British and Tolkien was an English writer.
Blanchett, who plays elf queen Galadriel, said it was great to see so many fans turn out considering the cold weather was “enough to drive anyone away.”
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- More than a quarter million sign up for Obamacare in November
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- MILLER: Dick Heller challenges D.C.s gun registration, files for summary judgement in Heller II
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
News and views on the Civil War.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow