- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
COOLUM, AUSTRALIA (AP) - Australia’s Daniel Popovic shot an 8-under 64 to take a two-stroke lead after the first round of the Australian PGA on Thursday, then revealed that his father is battling incurable cancer.
Popovic said his father, Radi, who gave him his start in the game, is battling a form of bone cancer.
Popovic, on his first year on the Australasian PGA Tour, birdied his first four holes at the Palmer Coolum Resort, and later had a string of five straight birdies.
Australia’s Scott Strange opened with a 66, and 2006 U.S. Open champion Geoff Ogilvy of Australia and OneAsia Tour regulars Zhang Xinjun of China and Choo Tze-huang of Singapore shot 67s.
Peter Senior, the Australian Open winner last week at age 53, had a 68.
Greg Norman pulled out after two holes _ both bogeys _ because of food poisoning.
ALFRED DUNHILL CHAMPIONSHIP
MALELANE, South Africa (AP) _ France’s Gregory Bourdy shot a 6-under 66 at Leopard Creek to take the first-round lead in the Alfred Dunhill Championship.
South African star Schwartzel, coming off an 11-stroke victory Sunday in Thailand, was a stroke back along with countrymen Louis de Jager, Oliver Bekker and Darren Fichardt and Englishmen Steve Webster and Richard Bland. South Africa’s Louis Oosthuizen had a 73.
The tournament is sanctioned by the European and Sunshine tours.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.