- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
AP source: Temple offers coaching job to Rhule
The person said University of Miami defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio withdrew from consideration.
The Owls are in the market for their third coach in four seasons, following Steve Addazio’s departure to Boston College last week. Temple went 4-7 this season after having three straight winning seasons and playing in two bowl games under Addazio and Al Golden.
Rhule has strong ties to Temple, a factor high on the university’s wish list after Addazio bolted after only two seasons. Rhule spent six seasons on the Owls’ coaching staff before joining Tom Coughlin’s staff as the Giants‘ assistant offensive line coach. Rhule, who played four seasons at Penn State, was the assistant offensive coordinator and tight ends coach, as well as the recruiting coordinator, when he left for the Giants.
Under Rhule’s lead, Temple’s recruiting class ranked No. 1 in the Mid-American Conference from 2006-2008.
Once one of the worst programs in the nation, the Owls found their footing in the MAC, but struggled in a return to the Big East this season.
Temple Athletic Director Bill Bradshaw said this week about 75 people had expressed interest in the program’s vacant football job. Eagles defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, a former Owl, confirmed he interviewed for the job.
Bradshaw said it was important to hire someone who “embraces everything Temple.”
He found his man.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.