- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Saber-toothed cat fossils found near Las Vegas
Question of the Day
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Researchers say a pair of fossils unearthed in the hills north of Las Vegas belonged to a saber-toothed cat.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports (http://on.rgj.com/SyeHtn) a team from California’s San Bernardino County Museum identified the fossils dug up in June as being front leg bones from the extinct predator.
Kathleen Springer, the museum’s senior curator, says the saber-tooth fossils are thought to be approximately 15,590 years old.
The discovery marks the first of its kind in the fossil-rich Upper Las Vegas Wash. Springer heads a team that’s been studying the wash for a decade and been collecting fossils there under a contract with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management since 2008.
She says the bones of Las Vegas’ only known saber-toothed cat are still being studied. There are no immediate plans to display them, but Springer expects that to happen eventually.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world