- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Saber-toothed cat fossils found near Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Researchers say a pair of fossils unearthed in the hills north of Las Vegas belonged to a saber-toothed cat.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports (http://on.rgj.com/SyeHtn) a team from California's San Bernardino County Museum identified the fossils dug up in June as being front leg bones from the extinct predator.
Kathleen Springer, the museum’s senior curator, says the saber-tooth fossils are thought to be approximately 15,590 years old.
The discovery marks the first of its kind in the fossil-rich Upper Las Vegas Wash. Springer heads a team that’s been studying the wash for a decade and been collecting fossils there under a contract with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management since 2008.
She says the bones of Las Vegas’ only known saber-toothed cat are still being studied. There are no immediate plans to display them, but Springer expects that to happen eventually.
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Inside the Ring: China targeting U.S. spy flights
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- HURT: Postal Service misses address by a whole continent
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.