- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Saber-toothed cat fossils found near Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Researchers say a pair of fossils unearthed in the hills north of Las Vegas belonged to a saber-toothed cat.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports (http://on.rgj.com/SyeHtn) a team from California's San Bernardino County Museum identified the fossils dug up in June as being front leg bones from the extinct predator.
Kathleen Springer, the museum’s senior curator, says the saber-tooth fossils are thought to be approximately 15,590 years old.
The discovery marks the first of its kind in the fossil-rich Upper Las Vegas Wash. Springer heads a team that’s been studying the wash for a decade and been collecting fossils there under a contract with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management since 2008.
She says the bones of Las Vegas’ only known saber-toothed cat are still being studied. There are no immediate plans to display them, but Springer expects that to happen eventually.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again