- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
- Tony Blair to warn West: Take sides against radical Islam
- Pfc. Bradley Manning’s name change to Chelsea heads to court
- NYPD’s attempt at positive Twitter outreach campaign proves to be an epic fail
- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The deranged undeterred by gun laws
Many years ago in his regular column in the National Review, William F. Buckley Jr. mentioned the futility of using logic when debating a liberal. Since reading that piece, I have noticed many examples that illustrate how correct his observation is.
Many liberals fail to understand why their policies worsen the very problems they expect to cure. They conclude, wrongly, that the reason for this is that their actions didn’t go far enough. When even stronger actions don’t have the desired effect, they predictably conclude nothing can be done to correct the problem because the world has somehow changed. Their minds seem to be incapable of realizing that the outcomes they witnessed are the logical result of their own failed polices.
Although liberal economic policies fit this scenario almost perfectly, there is no better example than gun-control laws. The liberal left seems to think a law prevents people from committing some undesirable act when, in fact, all a law does is authorize the government to investigate and punish lawbreakers. It is the fear of being caught and punished that is the actual deterrent. Consequently, no gun-control law will ever stop some mentally deranged person from publicly committing random murders to gain attention. Such deranged people have always existed and always will. The present laws that effectively disarm the public serve only to maximize the damage such people can do.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- SOWELL: The high cost of liberalism, open spaces and affordable housing
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren: 'I'm not running for president'