- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The deranged undeterred by gun laws
Many years ago in his regular column in the National Review, William F. Buckley Jr. mentioned the futility of using logic when debating a liberal. Since reading that piece, I have noticed many examples that illustrate how correct his observation is.
Many liberals fail to understand why their policies worsen the very problems they expect to cure. They conclude, wrongly, that the reason for this is that their actions didn’t go far enough. When even stronger actions don’t have the desired effect, they predictably conclude nothing can be done to correct the problem because the world has somehow changed. Their minds seem to be incapable of realizing that the outcomes they witnessed are the logical result of their own failed polices.
Although liberal economic policies fit this scenario almost perfectly, there is no better example than gun-control laws. The liberal left seems to think a law prevents people from committing some undesirable act when, in fact, all a law does is authorize the government to investigate and punish lawbreakers. It is the fear of being caught and punished that is the actual deterrent. Consequently, no gun-control law will ever stop some mentally deranged person from publicly committing random murders to gain attention. Such deranged people have always existed and always will. The present laws that effectively disarm the public serve only to maximize the damage such people can do.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers