- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The deranged undeterred by gun laws
Many years ago in his regular column in the National Review, William F. Buckley Jr. mentioned the futility of using logic when debating a liberal. Since reading that piece, I have noticed many examples that illustrate how correct his observation is.
Many liberals fail to understand why their policies worsen the very problems they expect to cure. They conclude, wrongly, that the reason for this is that their actions didn’t go far enough. When even stronger actions don’t have the desired effect, they predictably conclude nothing can be done to correct the problem because the world has somehow changed. Their minds seem to be incapable of realizing that the outcomes they witnessed are the logical result of their own failed polices.
Although liberal economic policies fit this scenario almost perfectly, there is no better example than gun-control laws. The liberal left seems to think a law prevents people from committing some undesirable act when, in fact, all a law does is authorize the government to investigate and punish lawbreakers. It is the fear of being caught and punished that is the actual deterrent. Consequently, no gun-control law will ever stop some mentally deranged person from publicly committing random murders to gain attention. Such deranged people have always existed and always will. The present laws that effectively disarm the public serve only to maximize the damage such people can do.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same